Accessing medicinal cannabis in Australia
Before we talk about the difference between CA Clinics and CA Connect, it’s important to understand the different rules when it comes to medicinal cannabis and CBD oil access in Australia.
Medicines like medicinal cannabis are currently controlled under the Australian Poisons Standard. Here are the different restrictions that medicinal cannabis and low dose cannabidiol (CBD) treatments are subject to.
- S3 low dose CBD: Products with at least 98% CBD (and up to 2% other cannabinoids but max 1% THC) at a maximum daily dose of 150 mg and registered on the ARTG will be accessible over the counter at a pharmacy, once those registered products are available in Australia.
- S4 CBD: Products that contain at least 98% CBD (and up to 2% other cannabinoids including 2% THC) and at a higher dose than 150 mg a day are medicines which are available by prescription-only.
- S8 all other medicinal cannabis: Products with more than 2% other cannabinoids including THC (ie: less than 98% CBD) are classified as S8 controlled drugs, which are available on prescription but need monitoring due to the risks of harm, psychoactive effects or addiction.
How can I get low dose CBD oil?
Low dose CBD therapy can help people affected by a range of conditions, including anxiety, insomnia and mild chronic pain. And in early 2021, the Australian Therapeutics Goods Administration (TGA) gave the green light for S3 low dose CBD to be supplied over-the-counter by a pharmacist, without a prescription.
Unfortunately, while it is technically legal to access these low dose products in Australian pharmacies, there are currently no such products available. The good news is that CA Connect is now helping to fill this gap in demand.
Low dose CBD treatments available at CA Connect
With CA Connect, accessing CBD has never been easier. CA Connect is an online integrated clinic and pharmacy service ensuring that low dose medicinal cannabis is affordable and easy to access for all Australians.
CA Connect offers:
- Initial telehealth consult with a healthcare professional
- Access to high quality, low dose CBD oil at a competitive price
- Streamlined online ordering system with fast direct-to-patient delivery
- Choice of carrier oils( MCT, Hemp or Olive Oil) and flavour enhancers
- Ongoing patient-focused care with access to experienced healthcare professionals
- 15 or 30 day tailored treatment plans with no referral needed and easy reorder system
CA Connect treatment plans are designed to make sure you, if you’re eligible, get the best possible health outcome. Register here with CA Connect to access low-dose CBD.
Accessing medicinal cannabis at CA Connect versus CA Clinics
CA Connect is an initiative of CA Clinics, the first pioneering network of medicinal cannabis clinics in Australia, helping patients with chronic conditions to access better health outcomes and improve their quality of life. The key differences between the two services are that with CA Connect:
- No referral or health summary is needed
- Only low-dose CBD products
- Suitable for mild medical conditions
- 15 or 30 day treatment plan with ongoing support and follow ups
- Max 30 day supply for prescriptions
- Access to CA Clinics for treatment of more complex conditions
CA Connect’s streamlined approach, operating within Australia’s current laws, means more people who suffer from mild symptoms of conditions such as sleeplessness, anxiety and pain have the opportunity to try this low-dose treatment option.
How do I know if CA Connect or CA Clinics is right for me?
If you are suffering from sleep disturbances, anxiety or mild chronic pain and you are seeking short-term relief, then low dose CBD oil may help ease your symptoms. To access low dose CBD oil, get in touch with CA Connect.
If you have a complicated chronic condition and may therefore need medicinal cannabis that includes THC or doses of CBD higher than 150mg per day, it is best to speak with medical professionals at CA Clinics who can manage your condition.
These therapies can help with conditions that include:
- Chronic non-cancer pain
- Chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting
- Multiple sclerosis
- Palliative Care
A simple referral and medical history from your doctor to CA Clinics will get the ball rolling. Visit the CA Clinics FAQ page for more information on how to access treatment.